Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Many Wonders of Washi Tape

/drool
I recently had the chance to experiment with washi tape for the first time (largely thanks to an awesome sale at Joann's which made them just a buck per roll instead of $3.00). 

If you don't already know, washi tape is the semi-opaque, brightly colored, wildly patterned Japanese tape that behaves like a cross between Scotch tape and masking tape. Considering it's self adhesive and comes in a million colors and patterns, there is an infinite amount of possibilities!

As you can see, my first experiment was to just make a simple, bright border on some envelopes for my happy mail. I particularly enjoyed the striped outline as it reminded me of old timey air mail envelopes. (I wonder why we don't have to use them today. Anyone know why that is the case?)

My second washi tape experiment involved these adorable birthday cards! The washi tape part itself was a snap, but embossing the background was pretty time/energy consuming. I'm quite happy with the results though! Everyone needs some special happy mail on his or her birthday.

Click here for some sweet project ideas from Tinker With This
Since washi tape is so versatile, there is a plethora of creative project inspiration floating around the internet. I think my next experiment will be to decorate our light switch covers with washi tape. I like that it will be easy to remove if we move since we're apartment renters, and  it will definitely give our place some much needed zest since I'm too lazy to paint. (Mostly every time I think about it, I can just imagine getting a giant rent hike and having to undo all the work when we move out.)

If you haven't yet given washi tape a shot, I highly encourage you to try it! If you have, or have any other awesome project ideas, tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Non-snail mail is welcome too!